When it comes to cleaning up your garden, where electric or gas-powered tools are too costly to buy, pruning saws are the best option. Why is pruning saw used? We use pruning saws to cut the shrubs to make them look attractive. This instrument not only makes plants look beautiful but also increases their growth and productivity.
Pruning saw exhibits the sharp teeth in its front for trimming trees and shrubs. There are many types of pruning saws for a particular kind of stem and branch. They intend to trim larger shrubs and smaller branches of trees.
How to Choose the Best Pruning Saw?
Among the vast range of different pruning saws, it is not easy to decide which one is best for you. There are four main types of pruning saws. Now! You must know that what you are looking for in a pruning saw. What kind of pruning (thickness and type of branches) you want to do will help you decide the type of pruning saws.
Picking out the best pruning saw out of hundreds of top-rated brands is quite challenging. In this situation, you’ll still be able to get the best one if you consider the following factors.
When you are looking for buying pruning saw, the first thing you have to understand that; is it durable and long-lasting? It is an important thing when you have a lot of plants in your garden to prune. So, your pruning saw must end up for a long time.
The material of the blade installed in the pruning saw must be of the highest possible quality. There is a variety of materials used as a blade, and you have to make the right decision at this time.
You can choose either tempered steel or high-carbon Japanese steel because both of them are the best.
The durability of the handle also matters a lot! You can choose either rubber, plastic, or woody handles, but make sure all of them must be strong and high quality.
2. Blade Length
An essential factor that you have to consider while choosing pruning saw is the length of the blade. The longer the blade, the better the pruning will be. As you all know that longer blades have a larger capacity to cut, and there will be no hindrance in the middle of a cut.
With longer blades, you get longer strokes, and as a result, the cutting is much smoother. Longer blades are suitable for thicker and harder branches.
Secondly, If you want a portable pruning saw, then shorter blades are suitable for you. As pruning saws with small blades are much affordable, easy to carry, store, and control.
The primary function of the pruning saw is ‘cutting,’ which is related to the teeth on the saw’s blade, you cannot ignore them. You have to consider two basic things in teeth of pruning saws, which are tooth per inch (TPI) and their size.
The size of the teeth determines the TPI. There are four sizes available in the saw’s blade teeth.
- Small teeth, having TPI up to 11, are suitable for making fine cuts on harder woods.
- Medium teeth, having 8.5 TPI, are suitable for clean cuts on softwoods.
- Large teeth, having 6 TPI, are for general pruning, as they do the faster and aggressive cutting.
- Extra-large teeth, having 5.5 TPI, are best for the fastest cutting, and they come on slightly curved blades.
You have to choose from these four sizes, depending upon your needs and purposes.
The ease in cutting and handling the pruning saw depends on its weight. Although heavy-duty models are suitable best for thick branches, as the more massive blade easily cuts the material.
But, before buying that, make sure you can handle such a high weight. You have to check that one weight, which you can handle easily.
An essential part of the pruning saw is its handle, from where you will pick it up and perform the function. So, the quality and the size of the handle determines the performance of pruning saw. If the handle of the saw is slippery, or not comfortable, then you will not be able to prune effectively.
Your pruning saw’s handle must be large enough to fit your hand, it should not be slippery, and it must be shock-absorbing, ensuring ultimate comfort.
Top 10 Best Pruning Saws
Home Planet Gear’s EverSaw 8.0 exhibits rugged SK5 high-quality carbon steel, and extreme strength and durability. It exhibits 9 TPI tooth configuration and best for pruning smaller branches.
- The EverSaw Pruning Saw comes with a slip-resistant thermoplastic rubber handle to be firm and comfortable in your hand while pruning. This saw is portable and easy for storage because its blade completely folds into the handle.
- It’s a multi-purpose pruning saw, as it can cut a variety of material, including plastic and bone. So, you must add it to your toolkit. Its Gear-Style Lock is for providing extra security and protection. It comes in an extended length of 17 inches and a closed length of 9.5 inches.
- The size of this pruning saw is 9.5 x 2.2 x 0.8 inches, and weight is 10.1 ounces, which is convenient for carrying.
- It has a fully-folding blade, which can cut a variety of materials.
- This pruning saw is uncoated for minimum friction.
- Its handle is resistant to slipping, making it comfortable.
If you want a luxurious, high-quality, expensive pruning saw, Silky Zubat will be the best option for you. It is one of the tough, and durable pruning saw due to its high-grade Japanese steel. Do you want to spend a little more on your pruning saw? Then don’t miss it out.
- This professional heavy-duty pruning saw comes in 13 inches mono-constructed curved blade, having 6.5 TPI configuration. It rust-resistant, and hard chrome-plated blade exhibits non-set tooth design. This curve blade allows cutting with much higher speed and little effort.
- It exhibits 13 inches blade having a thickness of 1.5mm, fitted into a high-quality rubber handle. It consists of black polypropylene, spinning, and custom-fitted sheath, which securely fits the curved blade into it.
- Its exclusive Silky MIRAI-ME smooth-cutting technology is responsible for its fast and clean smooth cutting action. A high-performance curved blade when combined with a comfortable, highly-gripped handle provides the best pruning experience.
- It exhibits a high-quality Japanese steel blade.
- Its handle is slip-resistant.
- The professional sheath also comes with this pruning saw.
- It’s a little expensive pruning saw.
If you are looking for a cheaper pruning saw, TABOR TOOLS T6 is the best choice for that. It is not only the more affordable saw, but its 8-inch long, sharp blade cuts the branches much effectively. It is precisely for cutting 4-inch branches.
- This sturdy, sharp, and rust-resistant pruning saw is an excellent option for pruning oaks and pine trees. The severe cuts on the blade of this pruning saw make deep satisfying cuts on the wood coming on its way. This pruning saw is light-weight and portable pruning saw, which you must add in your toolbox.
- TABOR TOOLS T6 pruning saw exhibits gripped, slip-resistant, and pistol-grip handle along with a quick storage hole in it to hang it anywhere. Its 8-inches hard, straight, and chrome-plated blade exhibit 3-dimensional aggressive teeth for making deep cuts.
- It also has a stabilizing locking mechanism that quickly locks the blade in the right place when it is not in use.
- Its gripped handle is slip-resistant.
- It is highly portable having weight of 4-ounces.
- It is much cheaper than other pruning saws.
- Its durability is not satisfying.
The Silky Folding pruning saw is ideal for every pruning task and outdoor works you want to perform. The highest possible quality of its blade and handle makc this pruning saw a perfect choice for everyone.
- This portable, light-weight folding pruning saw with 7-inches high-grade Japanese steel blade is suitable for multiple purposes. The razor-sharp teeth of this saw exhibit four cutting angles along its length, which provides clean and smooth cutting.
- The fiberglass polypropylene red handle of this saw ensures grip and ultimate comfort during pruning. Silky 143-18 folding pruning saw exhibits extensive teeth configuration, which cuts effectively through green woods and firewood.
- This light-weight saw exhibits blade length of 7-inches dimensions of 16.2 x 3.2 x 1 inches and weight of 6.4-ounces, which ensures easy portability.
- Highly adaptable pruning saw.
- It exhibits a fully-folded blade.
- It comprises of a 2-folding lock.
- Japanese steel blade ensures its highest quality.
- Its blade should be a little brittle.
Samurai Ichiban comprises a unique-curved handle which looks easy to handle. The use of pruning saw is concerned with the ease to handle and use them. This curved model is the best option because it is much convenient to use.
- This pruning saw exhibits 13-inches long high-grade steel blade, along with impulse-hardened teeth that cut the branches much aggressively. It keeps their edge longer than other traditional saws with chrome-plated and rust-resistant, the most admirable feature.
- This pruning saw comes with high-quality, soft, ergonomic, rubber-cushioned curved handle, which fits in your hand comfortably. It also exhibits a hard plastic sheath along with a belt loop included in it.
- Samurai Ichiban 13-inch Curved Pruning Saw exhibits dimensions of 20.5 x 5.1 x 1.6 inches and a weight of 12.8 ounces, a little heavier than others.
- It has a durable and robust sheath.
- Its soft handle exhibits a rugged grip with finger grooves in it,
- Its blade is incredibly sharp.
- It is a little heavicr, so it’s not that casy to use.
When it comes to buying an affordable pruning saw, Flora Guard 7.7-inch Folding Pruning Saw is an ideal option for that. The high-quality, combined with affordability, is what everyone needs! You will not get such high quality at this low price anywhere. Flora Guards intends to make better tools for gardeners.
- Flora Guard 7.7-Inch Folding Pruning saw is relatively cheaper but fine-gripped, and an ideal option for cutting larger tree branches efficiently. Its SK-5 high-quality carbon steel blade comprises of high-frequency treatment triple-cut razor hardened teeth, which are best suitable for sharp and smooth cutting.
- Its ergonomic, non-slip, and comfortable handle is quite easy for pruning purposes. It exhibits a convenient 2-stage safety lock to prevent any injury.
- This saw exhibits dimensions of 10.6 x 2.9 x 0.8 inches and a weight of 9.9 ounces.
- It exhibits a convenient safety lock.
- It is highly affordable with the most exceptional quality.
- The handle is ergonomic and solid-gripped.
- You have three color options in this pruning saw.
- This saw is not a long-lasting as compared to other brands.
- Its blade is not that sharp.
It works as a lopper and a pruner at a time, which is an excellent solution to the biggest problems for people in expendable poles. Sometimes, thin branches are not easy to cut with a blade as they start bouncing around. To solve that problem, they combine a lopper and a pruner so; you can simply lop the thin branch instead of trying to cut it.
- This pruning saw is specifically for cutting the higher branches, for which you have been climbing a ladder. Its power-lever technology is to enhance its cutting power up to two or three times than other traditional pruners.
- This pruning saw exhibits 15 inches high-quality stainless stcel blade with an easy-to-handle, light-weight 14-foot pole to reach the higher branches. Its fully hardened, precision-ground blade is resistant to rust and coated with low-friction.
- It is the best combination of pruner and lopper.
- Its extendable pole is a fantastic feature.
- It is portable and light-weight.
- It exhibits a subpar blade.
If you are looking for pruning thicker branches of diameter up to 10 inches, then this pruning saw is a fantastic choice for this. With its exceptionally long blade, the cutting becomes much more comfortable.
- It exhibits Corona Tools RazorTOOTH Saw technology with its 18-inches sharp blade to make cutting much more manageable.
- Its sharpening ability is because each tooth is triple-ground, with multi-faceted angles to maximize the effectiveness in pruning.
- This pruning saw comes with high-grade carbon Japanese steel, 18-inches blade finished with chrome-coating to ensure smooth cutting. It comprises of impulse-hardened teeth on the heat-treated blade, which makes Corona RS 7510 last longer.
- An ergonomic d-shaped and slip-resistant handle is perfect for performing your task. This pruning saw comes in dimensions of 1x 5.x 23.2 inches and low weight of 1.1 pounds.
- It exhibits a co-molded handle with a pistol grip.
- Its blade is longer and of high carbon steel.
- Its blade has triple ground teeth.
- This saw does not come with a sheath. Finding a sheath for this model is difficult.
Are you looking for a high-quality pruning saw? REXBETI is the superior quality saw for cutting, camping, hunting, backpacking, and other general garden duties. With this good-quality construction, you can now cut wood and plastic with much ease.
- This pruning saw exhibits high-grade, SK5 steel, rugged, 11-inches long blade to cut thicker branches easily. With this blade length, you can easily cut the 7-inch branch diameter. On its edge, aggressive staggered teeth, having 7 TPI configuration ensuring ultra-smooth cutting, are present.
- Its extra-long textured, rubber-coated polymer handle ensures a firm grip even during harsh weather conditions. This pruning saw blade can lock itself into two opposite open positions. Either you are making overhand, or undercuts, this saw will give you maximum power.
- It comes in dimensions of 13.1 x 4.3 x 1.3 inches and a weight of 14.9 ounces.
- This pruning saw is a little cheaper than others.
- It’s exceptionally long rubber handle makes the pruning much more accessible.
- It can cut both plastic and wood.
- It is not easy to carry.
When you are out in any jungle, you can build your shelter by cutting woods with this brilliant Swede 8-Inch Folding Hand Saw. You can now cut your way through the bush with this all-black, ergonomic pruning saw.
- Friendly Swede 8-inch Folding Saw is a multi-purpose saw; you can either cut dry, greenwood, or plastic, bones with this incredibly sharp-bladed saw. This saw has a total length of 17-inches with a blade of 8-inches. This blade comprises of 65Mn steel, which is equivalent to 1065 carbon steel, along with the configuration of 7 TPI.
- There are two, 27.5 inches, 550 Paracord fastened at the ends of this saw, which you need in all outdoor situations. A safety lock is present when you open it, and it locks itself to make it firm and sturdier.
- Its chrome-plated blade is rust-resistant, and it produces less friction. When you fold its blade, it is entirely covered. This pruning saw comes in dimensions of 17.3 x 1 x 2 inches and weight of 9.1 ounces.
- Its comfortable TPR handle is a great reason to buy this saw.
- This pruning saw exhibits a safety lock.
- Friendly Swede is offering a lifetime guarantee on this product.
- There is no other color available in this model.
What is the best time to use pruning saw?
If you want to prune your garden trees, you can use the pruning saws all-round the year. The preferable time of the year to prune is winters. As during winters, the leaves are off, and the entire tree structure is visible. So you can easily shape your tree during that. So we can say you must use your pruning saws during winters.
Are replacement blades available for these pruning saws?
All these pruning saws comprises of the highest quality steel blades, which will last longer. There are no replaceable blades available for these saws. The impulse-hardened teeth on these blades ensure quick, clean, and smoother cutting. Although, you also need not sharpen these blades even using for years because their sharpness is long-lasting. These pruning saws are tremendous and make the cutting task much easier as compared to conventional tooth saws.
What is the general purpose of pruning saws?
All of these pruning saws are for a variety of purposes. Either you want to shape your garden trees, or you want to cut new branches and shrubs, this is a perfect choice. You can use these saws to cut dry woods, green woods, bones, and hard plastic. Also, the primary function of these saws is landscaping.
How can we safely clean and maintain the pruning saw’s blade?
All of these pruning saws exhibit a high-quality stainless steel blade; you don’t have to clean it. It will always remain in its original condition. But still, if you want to clean it, then try some light oils such as sewing machine oil. You can also clean the blade with Easy-Off oven cleaner and then wash it with water.
Are these pruning saws long-lasting?
These are all top-rated, best-chosen pruning saws, which ensures that you can use them for years. Some of them also come with a lifetime warranty to make sure that these will never break, or attack by rust. So, we must say all of these saws are of long-lasting stainless steel and rubber.
On the whole, the EverSaw 8-inch Pruning saw is superior due to its premium quality, average blade length, and extremely light-weight, along with much affordable price. Secondly, Silky Zubat 13-inch Professional Pruning Saw is also an ideal choice, as its range is much more significant to support thick-branch cutting. Here you will get all those pruning saws, which are best!
Readmore: 10 Best Hedge Shears 2020 Reviews